Tuesday, November 14, 2017

FP/TT: Heartstone by Elle Katherine White

Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of a book she is reading or planning to read. She provides a linky for others to post theirs.

Here's mine:
I'd never seen an angry hobgoblin before.

If this one wasn't my friend, it might've been funny. Tobble was red in the face before I noticed him in the grass by the garden wall, and since hobgoblins have green skin, that in itself was quite a feat.
 

Link up here. It is very easy to play along:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! Everyone loves Teaser Tuesday.
Here's mine:
"Oh dear. Anything I can do to help?"

"Yes! Can you  translate for me?"

"You speak perfectly good Arlean."

"Well, yes, but he doesn't need to know that. And those wyverns are much less likely to eat me if you're there." He scrambled up my bent knee ans swung onto my shoulder. "Please?"
Both of these are from a book that has been on my TBR mountain since Feb. 28, 2017 making it a relative newcomer. Here is the description from Amazon for Heartstone by Elle Katherine White:
A debut historical fantasy that recasts Jane Austen’s beloved Pride & Prejudice in an imaginative world of wyverns, dragons, and the warriors who fight alongside them against the monsters that threaten the kingdom: gryphons, direwolves, lamias, banshees, and lindworms.

They say a Rider in possession of a good blade must be in want of a monster to slay—and Merybourne Manor has plenty of monsters.

Passionate, headstrong Aliza Bentaine knows this all too well; she’s already lost one sister to the invading gryphons. So when Lord Merybourne hires a band of Riders to hunt down the horde, Aliza is relieved her home will soon be safe again.

Her relief is short-lived. With the arrival of the haughty and handsome dragonrider, Alastair Daired, Aliza expects a battle; what she doesn’t expect is a romantic clash of wills, pitting words and wit against the pride of an ancient house. Nor does she anticipate the mystery that follows them from Merybourne Manor, its roots running deep as the foundations of the kingdom itself, where something old and dreadful slumbers . . . something far more sinister than gryphons.

It’s a war Aliza is ill-prepared to wage, on a battlefield she’s never known before: one spanning kingdoms, class lines, and the curious nature of her own heart.

Elle Katharine White infuses elements of Austen’s beloved novel with her own brand of magic, crafting a modern epic fantasy that conjures a familiar yet wondrously unique new world.


    13 comments:

    1. Sounds interesting...but probably not for me. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Good strategy in the teaser. Sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for sharing it. Mine is from a scifi book, Paradox Bound

      ReplyDelete
    3. Well this sounds like massive fun! Thank you so much for sharing and popping by:) Have a wonderful reading week.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Love that cover and dragons. Thanks for sharing a new to me author.
      sherry @ fundinmental My TT

      ReplyDelete
    5. Oh my gosh, this sounds amazing!! I love fantasy books like this AND I love Pride and Prejudice. But the two together?!?! I'll have to add this to my own tbr mountain!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Sounds interesting but sadly not really my genre - I do hope you enjoy your read :-)

      ReplyDelete
    7. I don't read fantasy but I do hope you love this one.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Oh boy, this could be a fun one. Spectacular cover art.

      My TT from Passing Strange

      ReplyDelete
    9. I didn' know thaf hobgoblins were green, but I like the idea that Tobie's face was red because he was angry. Sounds like fun. Enjoy Kathy.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Sounds interesting but not sure it would be something I would read. I never read Pride and Prejudice either.

      ReplyDelete
    11. I just love the opening of this book! It sets a great tone for the rest of the book! And the teaser, yeah, keeping hidden something so you don't have to alone, yeah, many a time that's a loved trick :) Great teaser! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

      ReplyDelete

    I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

    This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

    Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!