Saturday, March 4, 2017

Book Review: Justice Calling by Annie Bellet

Justice Calling
Author: Annie Bellet
Series: The Twenty-Sided Sorceress (Book 1)
Publication: Doomed Muse Press (July 30, 2014)

Description: Gamer. Nerd. Sorceress.

Jade Crow lives a quiet life running her comic book and game store in Wylde, Idaho. After twenty-five years fleeing from a powerful sorcerer who wants to eat her heart and take her powers, quiet suits her just fine. Surrounded by friends who are even less human than she is, Jade figures she's finally safe.

As long as she doesn't use her magic.

When dark powers threaten her friends' lives, a sexy shape-shifter enforcer shows up. He's the shifter world's judge, jury, and executioner rolled into one, and he thinks Jade is to blame. To clear her name, save her friends, and stop the villain, she'll have to use her wits... and her sorceress powers.

Except Jade knows that as soon as she does, a far deadlier nemesis awaits.

Justice Calling is the first book in the USA Today Bestselling The Twenty-Sided Sorceress urban fantasy series. Readers who enjoyed The Dresden Files or The Iron Druid Chronicles will likely enjoy this series.

My Thoughts: Jade Crow is living a quiet life in Wylde, Idaho, running a comic book store and playing games with her friends. Wylde is filled with shifters and seems like a great place for Jade to hide from the evil sorcerer who wants to eat her heart. As long as she doesn't use her magic, she should be fine.

But a new magic user has come to town and he's getting his power from the life force of shifters. When Jade's best friend's mother is taken and put under some sort of spell, Jade has to decide if she's going to keep hiding or use her magic to help her friend.

Another new shifter has come to town too. Justice Aleksei Kirov who represents the Council of Nine has been drawn to Wylde because of a vision which starred Jade. His vision indicates that she is a murderer which comes as a real surprise to Jade. She doesn't like being in the spotlight even if it is being shone on her by a really hot tiger shifter.

I liked the setting in this one. I liked that Jade just wanted to live a peaceful life surrounded by her fellow nerds and gamers. This was the beginning of a new urban fantasy series. I'll be reading more.

Favorite Quote:
The last time I'd been so instantly attracted to someone, he'd tried to fatten me up with magic, Hansel and Gretel style, and then eat my heart.
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!