Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Teaser Tuesday: Magic & Manners by C. E. Murphy

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Books and a Beat. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Teaser:
That Mr. Webber would attend dinner was inevitable; that Mr Archer should find himself in accompaniment was not, and yet that worthy stood stiff and uncomfortable at Mr Webber's side when Webber knocked briskly on the Oakden door. 
This week my teaser comes from Magic & Manners by C. E. Murphy. I have enjoyed all the books I have read that combine magic with Regency settings. I hope to enjoy this one too. Here is the book description from Amazon:
It is a truth universally accepted that well-bred members of Society are not beleaguered with magic.

For Elsabeth Dover and her sisters, that truth means living in a perpetual state of caution, never using their sorcerous gifts in public. Elsabeth chafes under the stricture, but not enough to risk the possibility of good marriages for her sisters...until she meets handsome, arrogant Fitzgerald Archer.

Elsabeth, attracted to Archer's wit and offended by his manner, strives to keep her youngest, impetuous sister's use of magic in check so that their eldest sister, Rosamund, might find happiness with Archer's wealthy friend Mr Webber. But when Elsa fails to keep young Leopoldina in line, Archer's disapproval of the family taint means an abrupt end to Rosamund's hopes, and leads to a terrible discovery about the price of magic....

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, this sounds like it could be fun! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you getting on with this one? Wasn't too sure about the writing - it seemed a tad clunky... I love the premise though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the sound of this one, I believe it could be an enjoyable read so I'll keep it in mind :)

    Thanks for sharing and stopping by my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is so beautiful and the teaser is also interesting. Here's mine
    Teaser Tuesday| August 23, 2016 - http://wp.me/p7KAUt-2D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Walker Papers by her. I would certainly keep reading. Hope you enjoy it! My Teaser is from an urban fantasy title - Unraveled by Jennifer Estep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cover and interesting excerpts. I may have to rediscover this kind of fiction. Here's mine: “THE BOOK THAT MATTERS MOST”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shades of Pride and Prejudice in that opening! Sounds like a fun book.
    My Tuesday post features LATE FALL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting teaser! Totally new to me one! Hope you're enjoying it!


    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now this sounds like a good one. I like the mix of genres.

    My TT from Bayou Shadow Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that this one sounds really intriguing! Magic and Regency would make for a very dynamic novel. I hope that you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even the title sounds intriguing! And I love stories of this kind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohh, sounds like a Pride and Prejudice moment with Mr Darcy and Mr Bingley.

    Thank you for stopping by Hills of Books

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!