Thursday, May 12, 2016

Book Review: Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones

Second Grave on the Left
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Charley Davidson Series (Book 2)
Publication: St. Martin's Paperbacks; Reprint edition (April 24, 2012)

Description: If you hang around with dead people, life can deliver a whole world of trouble.

Take it from Charley Davidson, part-time P.I. and full-time Grim Reaper. The deceased find her very sparkly. Demons find her irresistible. And one entity in particular wants to seduce her in every way possible…

When Charley and Cookie, her best friend slash receptionist, have to track down a missing woman, the case is not quite as open and shut as they anticipate. Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally.) has left his corporeal body because he's being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can't let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they'll have a portal to heaven. And if they have a portal to heaven…well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty.

Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Can she keep those she loves out of harm's way? And is there enough coffee and chocolate in the world to fuel her as she does?

My Thoughts: This second book in the Charley Davidson series was as funny and chaotic as the first. Charlie is working on a case for her best friend/receptionist Cookie. Her best friend Mimi is missing. She is also trying to find out about the dead guy in Cookie's car trunk. But, most of all, she is trying to find Reyes body before he dies. Reyes is determined to let his human body die; Charley doesn't want that to happen. And, also, Charley's father is being threatened by someone who wants to kill him or, at least, kill his family.

All of those cases intertwine in this investigation. Charley is her usual fear-free self. She doesn't seem to have any sense of self-preservation as she confronts criminals of all sorts of descriptions on her quest to find Mimi and save Reyes.

This book was laugh out loud funny which is unusual in the urban fantasy genre. I enjoyed every minute of this story and can't wait to read more of Charley's adventures. 


Favorite Quote:
She shook her head, then took off again, and I found myself struggling to keep up with her in my bunny slippers. With a sigh, I realized I was getting way too much exercise. I'd just have to counter it later with cake.
I bought this book. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!